ACER approves three methodologies on electricity balancing capacity procurement
What is it about?
Electricity grid operators must keep the power system stable or in balance. Decreasing the volume of balancing capacity to ensure operational security and allocating cross-zonal capacity to balancing capacity enables the power system to be balanced more efficiently.
To enable this, ACER approved on 19 July 2023 three proposals of Transmission System Operators (TSOs) and the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity (ENTSO-E) on:
- Harmonised methodology for cross-zonal capacity allocation for the exchange of balancing capacity or sharing of reserves;
- Regional Coordination Centres’ (RCCs) task of regional sizing; and
- RCCs’ task of facilitating the procurement of electricity balancing capacity.
How is this relevant for citizens and EU security of electricity supply?
This new ACER Decisions aims at better integrating balancing capacity markets through the use of cross-zonal capacities. The goal is to lower the costs of procuring electricity balancing capacity while ensuring security of supply. This can be achieved by reducing the overall balancing capacity needs and by lowering the procurement cost for acquiring the necessary balancing capacity.
To ensure the informed decisions, ACER gathered input via a:
What are the next steps?
- ENTSO-E, TSOs and RCC start the implementation of these methodologies.
- The harmonised market-based allocation process should be ready for application in 2 years.
- The RCC task of facilitating the procurement of electricity balancing capacity should be operational in 2.5 years.
- The RCC task of regional sizing should be operational in 3 years.
- TSOs will submit an amendment proposal of the harmonised methodology for cross-zonal capacity allocation for the exchange of balancing capacity or sharing of reserves in 1 year to include needed provisions for the governance of the market-based process.
- Based on further assessments, ENTSO-E will submit amendment proposals for the RCC task methodologies before they enter into operation to define required thresholds.
- ACER Decision No 11-2023 on the TSOs’ proposal for the harmonised cross-zonal capacity allocation methodology.
- ACER Decision No 12-2023 on the Regional Coordination Centre Regional Sizing of Reserve Capacity Methodology.
- ACER Decision No 13-2023 on the Regional Coordination Centre Regional Procurement of Balancing Capacity Methodology.